Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Week Ten: 30!

I was a little nervous about last weekend's walk because of the incomplete weekend before, but I managed to get my training miles of the weekend completed without incident! Saturday was a great day for walking with beautiful weather, and my friend Vikkie and I started out from our house just after 7 a.m. and walked the almost 3 miles to my friend Amber's house. We took a 6-7 mile loop around various neighborhoods, returning to Amber's house for a short break, complete with snacks, a change of socks, and a little Bodyglide on the feet to prevent blisters. After filling up with water, Vikkie and I were off again, heading out for 7-8 more miles in a route that ended up back at our house. We made one other snack/rest break at a playground, but for the most part we kept up a terrific pace, finishing 17 miles just before noon. Our average mile pace was 14:49, which means we were walking fast, as usual. I'm pretty sure I can't keep that pace up for 3 days, but at least the first day we'll be in good shape for getting done quickly!

Sunday I was scheduled for 13 miles, and after walking the dogs just over 2 miles in the morning, I had to break for church and lunch with friends. I resumed my walking at the Humane Society with the residents there, but only got about a mile in because I had so many pictures to take. My friend Heather and I met up on campus late in the afternoon and took an almost 6 mile journey around The Hill, but it was dark by the time we finished. I still had about 3 miles to go when I got home, so I took the dogs back out for a late night stroll and ended up at about 12.5 (recorded) miles for the day.

As Heather and I were walking she asked me if I preferred to walk in the morning or evening, and I told her I preferred morning just because you never know what your day might bring that will ruin your evening walking plans. After walking late into the evening on Sunday, I realized that I also didn't like evening walking because I'm just so tired by the end of the day! I was pooped Sunday night! Of course, it might have been the 17 miles the day before!

No comments:

Post a Comment