Monday, October 29, 2007

Week 14: Another Eighteen

If you're paying close attention, you probably noticed that I skipped week 13 entirely! Last weekend we were in Colorado, and while I didn't exactly skip my training walks, I didn't exactly finish them either! Thankfully it was an easy week, and I was only supposed to do 10 miles on Saturday and 8 on Sunday. On Saturday we were in Boulder, and we walked about 6 miles during the day, around the Pearl Street Mall downtown and to and from the CU stadium for the KU game. I thought I'd get up early on Sunday and get my 8 miles done, but when we woke up it looked like a blizzard outside! Later in the afternoon Chad walked about 3 miles with me, and then we walked almost another 3 to and from Invesco Field for the Steelers/Broncos game that night. Thankfully, this weekend I was still able to complete my 18 miles on Saturday despite slacking off last weekend!

The 18 miles on Saturday started off with a 1.5 mile walk with the dogs early in the morning, and I definitely had to layer up because it was only 39 degrees at 6:45. BRRR!! After dropping Celtic and Hope off at home, I walked over to my friend Amber's house--almost 3 miles away--and took a short break there before heading out for just over 6 miles. After that, I walked the 3 miles back home, and took another short break before taking the dogs out for another 2 miles, which brought me up to 15 miles on the day. A couple of hours later, Chad and I headed over to a benefit 5K in memory of one of my sorority sisters who passed away when we were in college. I was able to finish my last 3 miles catching up with old friends, which was really nice!

On Sunday, I walked my first 3 miles with my doggy friends at the shelter, which certainly wasn't at the 4+ m.p.h. pace I'd walked the day before, but I counted it anyway! When I got home I took my own dogs out for almost 1.5 miles, and then walked by myself for a very fast five miles. Since I was bored being alone, I picked up the pace and went an average of 14:12 per mile on my last 5. I was pretty sore upon my arrival home, but it was worth it to get the walk over with more quickly! I was telling someone the other day that probably anyone could walk 20 miles in a day if they did it slowly enough; the challenge comes with getting it done fast enough to enjoy your afternoon and evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment