Sunday, August 12, 2007

Is It Week Three Already?

I honestly can't believe I'm already into the third week of my training! The first three long weekend walks were so enjoyable, thanks to my walking partner Amber, I didn't even feel like I was training at all!! Yesterday we walked the dogs over 2 miles, and then set out on a 5 mile trek of our own, so we ended up doing more than our scheduled 7 miles without any trouble!

My six mile Sunday walk came in two parts, the first of which was at the Kansas City Race for the Cure this morning. It's a 5K race/walk that raises money for Susan G. Komen for the Cure. I put together a team dubbed the Cancer Hating Boob Savers (the name was my friend Robyn's idea), which included about 9 friends and also my mother! We joined 20,000 other participants on a 100 degree day and walked 3.1 miles, which was a great accomplishment for Mom, who usually has difficulty in this kind of weather. Although the crowds and heat made the morning a little less enjoyable that it could have been, we still had a great time and were glad we participated!! If you're interested in pictures from the event you can check out our Picasa page.

My remaining 2 miles (we walked at least a mile to and from our car this morning) was supposed to happen this evening. I had planned to walk the dogs after our 6:00 softball game when I thought it would be a little cooler. When we left on our walk at 8 p.m. the temperature was over 90 degrees and the heat index was almost 105! The dogs only made it about 1.25 miles before they were completely spent. As I write this at 9 p.m., it's still 89 degrees with a heat index of 103! It's been so hot here the last couple of weeks my evening walks have been pretty miserable. There is supposed to be a high of at least 100 every day for the next 6 days, so I will definitely need to start getting up early in the morning for walking to avoid some of this ridiculous heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment