Sunday, July 24, 2011

Finished With Fundraising!

I've done a terrible job keeping my blog updated in the last few weeks, so now I have lots of stuff to report all in one post. First of all, we had a very successful fundraising event at our friend Danny's restaurant early last week. He is donating 25% of each person's bill who came in to Set'em Up Jack's last Tuesday evening specifically to support the 3-Day. We ended up having at least 40 people come in to eat and drink, and we ended up raising $250! He is such a great friend and so generous!

At the event I also got to meet some fellow 3-Day walkers who are taking a break from walking this year to be on the 3-Day crew--in Chicago! It was so nice of them to come all the way from KC just to meet me and support the cause. It will be great to see familiar faces when we get to lunch stops on the event!

Back to the subject of fundraising, although I was still several hundred dollars short of my goal as of the event last week, in the last seven days I've gotten TONS more donations. I hit my $2300 minimum on Saturday, and then hit my $2500 goal on Sunday! Once I share the money from the Jack's fundraiser with my teammate Amber, we will BOTH officially be finished, since she's only about two hundred dollars away from her minimum now! I'm so excited that we don't have to stress about our fundraising anymore!

With regard to training, I will admit I hadn't done more than a 10 mile day since the long 18/14 mile walks with Amber in Nebraska several weeks ago. It's just been so crazy hot here it was hard to get more than 8-10 miles in before it just got unbearable. Thankfully today's high was only supposed to be about 95, so after walking the dogs 3 miles at about 6 a.m., my friend Faith and I set out to walk about 6.5 miles from campus to my house, and then walk the 6.5 miles back to our cars on campus after a 15-20 minute break. It was hot and miserable by the time we finished at around 11, but we did it! I'm feeling fairly confident that I'll be okay with all of the walking in Chicago, and I'm feeling super thankful that the temperatures are as high there as they are in Lawrence!

No comments:

Post a Comment